Here are some things. Random things.
* I’ve been reading on my Kindle, but not entire books. I’m addicted to downloading book samples… they are free, and they help me decide what I might want to purchase, when I finally stop being so cheap and make a purchase. Some samples I’ve read recently:
*A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness
*The Wolf Gift by Anne Rice
*ReadyPlayer One by Ernest Cline
*The Passage by Justin Cronin
* Wool by Hugh Howey
*Death Sentence: Escape from Furnace 3 by Alexander Gordon Smith
*Stravaganza: City of Masks by Mary Hoffman
* Born to Darkness by Suzanne Brockmann
*ExtraNormal by Suze Reese
*Dark Lover by J.R. Ward
I plan to purchase A Discovery of Witches first. I’ve given it lots of thought, and even committed to it on GoodReads. But… then again… no. Just buy or borrow one of these and read a full book, ya turkey.
* Realized that my book is already at 88,000 words. A typical novel is around 60,000 words. It’s totally possible that I am actually very close to being finished with the book and I never realized it… if I make this a series. I’ve always thought of the stuff that happens next as “the second part” anyway. It’s a whole other direction for my characters once one thing happens. I can write that one thing scene THIS WEEK and wrap it up, technically. Holy cow. My book might be finished.
* I am writing some flashback scenes now to show parts of my protagonist’s childhood. Two of the scenes I’ve written make me incredibly sad for him. Another one just shows how important his one friendship with a kid his own age really is. I have two more scenes planned.
* I’ll either plug the scenes in to different places of the story so far, or I will find a way to rework it just a bit so it’s chronological. I’m not sure yet which approach to take. I’ll have my sister read the scenes and get her opinion since she’s the one person closest to this book other than myself.
* Yes, writing’s all I think about right now. 🙂