- I remain quite happy with J! We had a lovely date night at his house on Friday. He made me a vegan dinner and showed me how to operate his juicer. We watched Despicable Me (which I loved!) and he gave me a Christmas present: a USB drive, engraved with my name on one side, and the name of my book on the other. I was so touched by that. He totally gets that writing is one of the all-time most important things in my life, and he supports what I do. I am so lucky.
- I finally saw the neurologist yesterday (after about a 1.5 month wait) and the news was bad, but also good. I mean, the bad news is that yes, I do have serious back issues going on. The good news is that I now know for sure what is going on back there, which discs are affected and then I can figure out a plan to keep myself feeling good for as long as possible.
- In summary, I have degenerative disc disease; two herniated discs at L5/S1 and L4/L5 with the L5/S1 being the most severe. This is where the sciatic nerve is being pinched. I also have something called trochanteric bursitis in both legs. This is an inflammation of the bursa, located at the top of my femur bone, where it goes into the hip socket. The spots where you feel the pain have always been sore, for years now, but I kind of ignored it and just thought I was out of shape and/or had worked out too hard.
- Treatment for now: light exercise and continue to do my stretching and strengthening exercises I’ve learned over the years. However, no running is allowed. It appears that training for a half-marathon was one of the very worst things I could have done for my spine! Oh, well. Live and learn. I can do other things, and I’m happy to get ‘clearance,’ so to speak, to go hiking and bike riding again. I have to walk more, too. I’ve been sitting around a lot this past month or so, afraid to do too much because I’d get sore again… and I didn’t exactly take care of myself in doing this. I honestly didn’t know WHAT to do/not do until I saw the doctor, though. Now that I have, a weight has been lifted and I feel like I can resume getting my life in order, health-wise!
- Speaking of health, I made my first batch of juice the other night using J’s juicer. (He lent it to me for two weeks! That was so nice of him.) My first juice was purely fruit, since that’s what I am most comfortable with going into this, and I really did enjoy the process of making the juice. If you ever have a chance to use a real, high-end juicer, I totally recommend it. It’s fun! I tasted the juice as I went, making sure I liked it, and the final product was amazing. I love me some citrus juices, and having this freshly-made concoction made all the other juices I’ve had over the years pale in comparison. I still have a little bit left, but I also want to make another batch but this time, add some veggies. The plan for now is to add cucumber, spinach and possibly yams–which are one of J’s favorite things to juice. It should be really interesting to experiment and see what I like and to begin to retrain my tastebuds! I’m excited about seeing some positive changes. Yay!
- I had been thinking about changing Hurley’s food for a couple of weeks now, ever since a friend of mine was posting on FB about how her dog wasn’t responding to medications for her allergies. I remembered when I used to make batches of dog food for Sam when he was in his final years, and how his diet was pretty healthy. Hurley gets tiny little bumps that look like red pimples all over his back, and I am 99% sure that it’s coming from his horrible store-brand, cheap dog food. I read up some more on dog food ingredients and, OMG, I feel like I am the most irresponsible, lazy dog owner in the world now. How did I not know all this until now, and why didn’t I care? He’s such an incredible dog. I want the absolute best for him! So, in addition to revamping my own diet, I am also doing the same for him. And the cats. I guess my resolution this year is to be healthy and responsible regarding all the food consumed in my house.
- CHRISTMAS… AHHHHH! When the hell did it suddenly become Christmas week?! I feel like it was only Thanksgiving about a week ago. I have never been this far behind on decorating and getting all festive. Fortunately, I did begin shopping back in early November, officially… I have just a couple more things to get for my BIL, mostly. But yeah, I have yet to pull out the bins of Christmas decorations from the garage. I did hang some lights outside, finally. But not my usual display. There are no lights going across the front of the house at the roofline this year. All I did was toss some white LED lights in the bush near my front door, and then put the 5 light-up candy canes out along the sidewalk leading to the door. Done, and done! I know it looks kind of pathetic, but it’s so much better than only managing to have a wreath on the door.
- This year, the pink tree is getting a rest. I have another tree that’s traditional green, with white lights. Since Gremlin and Simon have not destroyed it, I really could put some ornaments on the thing. Non-breakable ornaments, of course.
- I didn’t send out cards this year, either. I just never got around to it. And I don’t have a good camera this year so there could be no photos of me and/or the animals, either. Ehhh. I have no idea why I just didn’t care enough this year!
- I have yet to make the chocolate chip cookies I’ve been planning to make for over a week now. All the ingredients are there, just waiting for me to move my ass and make the stupid things. Now, I am thinking of also trying to make a homemade apple pie. Oh, I have all these great ideas, and most likely… very few will ever come to fruition.
- I have the money to paint the exterior of my house, finally! Thanks, Christmas bonus. The bonus will also be going towards that plumbing issue out front, too. Which reminds me… I better call that plumber today and set something up.
- I’m one of those people who wants to get little steps to put next to the bed so the dog can easily climb up and down. It’s true. I want this, for Hurley. He doesn’t like jumping down off the bed in the dark. Poor little spoiled dog!
- I ordered a T-shirt for J the other day, and it should be delivered to him anytime now. I know he’s going to like it, since we can’t stop quoting Anchorman.
- That’s all I’ve got. Hope you’re having a good day!