* It is very hot today. Something like 110, with some humidity. It’s kind of crappy to be outside. It was yesterday, too. And as you know from my last post, yesterday was also when I decided to take a bike ride after work. I did it, and MAN, did it suck! I could only make it about 40 minutes out there, and pedaling was super, super hard. All my muscles were fighting me more than ever. It had to be the heat, right? I couldn’t have been *that* out of shape from not riding for a week. Anyway, yeah: Working out in the full sun at the end of the day is a bad idea. Very, very wrong. I don’t recommend it.
* But on an upside, hey! I did it. I survived and didn’t skip working out for one more day. So that’s something.
* Gremlin has discovered the toilet paper. And how much fun it can be to destroy it. I’ve always heard of cats (and dogs) who do this, but up until now, I’ve been lucky. I got a photo of most of the damage with my phone:
The rest of the roll was spread throughout my bedroom (behind me), and because they’d already made a mess of that room by dragging my shoes out, moving toys and rawhides all over the damn place, and I am kind of embarrassed to document how horrible it looks, I didn’t take a photo of that. I’ve got to stop letting these animals ruin MY house!! It’s not theirs. It’s mine.
It’s time I take back my house. I’ve already started being a lot louder, and tougher, especially on Gremlin. After all, he’s the ringleader… now Simon is starting to act like him a little bit. No way am I going to let Gremlin be a bad influence on my sweet, angelic (in comparison) Simon. This shit ends here. I shoved him off the sink today, forcibly, and I’ll do that again as often as I have to. No more soft-hand approach.
* My co-worker and I put a lot of effort into creating a wall here filled with cookie-related puns. It’s hard to explain, really, but it amused us quite a bit. We re-wrote famous poems from such works as Paradise Bakery Lost and authors like William Bakespeare (To eat, or not to eat, that is the question…) and we even did the Betty Crockersburg Address… and someone took it upon his or herself to destroy the whole thing sometime between last night and this morning. It’s like our Happy Cookie Wall never existed–all traces have been removed. The whiteboard is perfectly white again, boring and sad. People seemed to like our Happy Cookie Wall, as it came to be known. (It was also the staging area where we would leave cookies and other treats we brought in to share with everyone, so yeah… this was a beneficial table for everyone, and it showed how nice we are because who else is bringing in treats for their co-workers? NO ONE!) But now it’s gone. And we are sad. And wondering who did it. Some no-fun-having stick-in-the-mud, that’s who. 😦
* Last night I was playing on Match and spotted an interesting guy. FINALLY! He’s very cute, and his profile was hilarious. He used a Mitch Hedberg quote as his headline, and included photos of himself that were right up my alley– my favorite was him with this caption: “Me, dressed as a mad scientist, reading a story to my dog.” And his dog, some kind of greyhound mix, is sitting on a dog bed wearing a white beater and some plaid shorts as this guy reads to him. In a mad scientist costume. It made no sense, and was so random. It was exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. The only thing is that he’s younger than I was thinking of, but maybe it doesn’t matter.
So, I contacted him with an email. We’ll see if he responds or not. Even if he doesn’t, at least now I have a little more hope in the internet as a place to find someone unique. It made me happy.
* My mom brought her cat to the new groomer today to be cleaned up. He looks like Simon, but his coat is thick and coarse for some reason, where Simon’s is pretty soft and shiny. She had him shaved, which must look hilarious. But my Mom was very happy with the groomer, and the work she did. And the cat seems just fine with his haircut, according to Mom– he didn’t make one peep in the car the whole ride home, and has been strutting around the apartment happily. In his case, not having all that matted hair probably feels wonderful right now. I’ve got to get a picture of this cat.
* How have I still not seen Rise of the Planet of the Apes?! Seriously. This is the ONE MOVIE I cared the most about for this whole summer. And I haven’t made it there yet. I am such an irresponsible fan. Anyway, this has got to be the weekend it happens. I can’t wait any longer.
* I can’t stop quoting Stefon, and doing that thing with my hands (two hands over the mouth, all dramatic, as you’re thinking). Too bad I can’t play any of the videos here at work (no updated Flash player, boo) because then I could quote it properly, but whatever. I’ll just say the thing about the Human Kite. “It’s that thing, where you tie a string to a midget…and run through a field.”
We love you, Stefon. Thank you for bringing him to us, Bill Hader. Excellent job.
Stefon. City Correspondent.