Olive is bleeding from her, umm, private parts and I don’t know why. I came home yesterday from work to find drops of fresh blood all around the kitchen floor. I initially thought, oh no. The kitten. One of them bit Simon. But I checked him over, and he was just fine. Then I wondered if maybe Simon had accidentally scratched on of the dogs. Checked them over — no. Was it a bloody nose or mouth? I checked all three pets for any problems like that and again, nothing. Finally I knew it was time to check the butt area on all of them. And when I rolled Olive over, I saw where the blood was coming from. It was in her fur, back near her vulva area, and she did not want me to get close to it at all. Was she in HEAT?! I grabbed the phone and called the vet.
“Can I bring my dog over? She’s bleeding and it seems like she’s in heat, but she’s spayed. I just want someone to check in and see what the deal is, because maybe our new kitten scratched her there or something?”
I did bring her over, and the two vet techs on duty had a look. It did appear to be coming out of her vulva, as there were no open wounds, bites or scratches. They seem to suspect it’s coming from her urethra, like she is peeing blood. They gave me a urine collection kit and an appointment for today at 4 to bring her back so the vet can examine her.
Of course I have had no luck whatsoever getting the urine sample. It’s a tray I slide under her, and then use this dropper-thing to suction it up and put it in a sterile container. I’ve tried sliding the tray under her about four times now, and she always jumps away and now won’t even go if I am following her around the yard. She glares at me like, “Stay away from me, Tray Lady.” The one time I managed to catch a few drops, I also caught a ton of dead grass and dirt. The drops didn’t look red or pink, though, so that could be a good sign.
Has anyone heard of a supposedly spayed female dog going into heat?
My vet felt her belly and didn’t feel a uterus there, and even said she felt “what feels like a spay scar” when I brought her in for her very first visit. So I have always assumed that, yeah, she is spayed. I knew nothing about the heat cycle for dogs, so I read up on it today and honestly, she has a lot of the symptoms of being in heat.
* She has been VERY restless and anxious for the past month or so, almost to the annoying point,
* She licks almost obsessively and rubs herself along the carpet; I’ve taken her to the vet for the carpet thing and they determined it was likely because of anal glands that were impacted (which they treated) and the red rash on her belly was carpet burn. But I have been thinking about bringing her back to find out why she licks so damn much. It’s gross, to be honest. Just lick, lick, lick… and you can try to stop her, even physically, and she will do everything in her power to push you off so she can keep going. I was thinking it was a form of Doggy OCD or something; or anxiety for some reason and wanted to look into some sort of medication to help her relax. And to find out if she had allergies or something.
* Related to all of this is the constant rolling around on her back out in the yard. What a mess.
* She has a weird mothering instinct with Simon, and that injured bird in the yard two weeks ago.
* And finally, the spots of blood. That seems to be the most tell-tale symptom. Duh.
Apparently it is possible for a spayed dog to go into heat. If they didn’t get all of the ovaries, the remaining tissue can be activated by hormones coming from the brain. So even though they can’t get pregnant since there isn’t a uterus, they’ll still go through heat. Or, more likely, she wasn’t really spayed. After all, it’s not like me or the vet (or yard sale woman) know her history before she ended up at the canal as a stray. Poor thing.
I’m hoping she just has a little infection that an antibiotic or something will clear up. I don’t want her to be in heat. Hell no. And I hope this isn’t something that will require expensive surgery. I already know just the cost of the urinalysis today will be $125… whew, boy. Here we go again. And this time, I have no credit card I can use to pay the bill (because of that horrible AMEX ‘trick’ when they lowered my limit down within mere hundreds of my balance). She’s getting to be one expensive dog! 🙂 But I love her anyway.
What if it’s not an infection, and not a heat cycle, but…something else? What if her cancer has come back, just in another part of her body? I doubt it. Chances seem kind of slim. But I’m freaking myself out wondering what’s wrong with her. She seems OK otherwise– she’s eating, drinking, pooping just fine.
Like I said earlier, has anyone heard of this before? I know, I will find out more in three hours, but…I AM SO NERVOUS! Argh! 😦